I Got a Jerbs

Monday, March 26, 2012 Posted by Digital Katsu
I was contacted by Gala-net last Friday about a position with their company; I went to an interview on Tuesday, a Second Interview on Friday, and was offered the job today (Monday). A pretty quick process which I appreciate.

Some people are left hanging after the 1st and 2nd interview, which can be nerve wracking. They say after getting a second interview you pretty much have a 50/50 chance of getting the job, but I still was pretty iffy about this position. After the 1st interview the company reposted the job so I was surprised I received a second interview.

You just really never know until you are actually offered the job. What started as a part-time inquiry into the job market became a pretty in-depth search for better and more interesting positions. Basically, over 75 jobs applied to all with cover letters and resumes (since January). I received a few offers, but after looking over the contracts (like for the Oakland Zoo) they were too little hours with not enough benefits. Some jobs even had essay questions which I had to answer thoroughly. Some jobs required testing at facilities; I passed them all (which didn't even guarantee an interview). I know for a lot of the positions I didn't have the work history for them, but I did have the educational requirement.

I was happy about the offer, but the job really doesn't pay much. I know they were offering me a decent pay for the industry standard, which is why I accepted it. I just want to get into this industry because I'm passionate about it. It's something I really like and hopefully in a year or so I'll be able to move up in the ranks. Hopefully it's a venture where I can at least breakeven. I have to drive 42 miles to the office and gas is $4.19/gallon at Quickstop (the cheapest ghetto gas station where I live).

Labels:

Post a Comment