New Phone Droid X

Monday, July 19, 2010 Posted by Digital Katsu
Yay! A new phone! This is my new phone the Droid X. A smart phone that has Android 2.1 (Froyo = Frozen Yogurt 2.2 Soon), a 1ghz TI OMAP processor and a 4.3" screen, makes this transition from an iPhone painless.

Though I love this phone, I still have some issues with it... the Droid X is nice and all, but it has one small potential problem that might make it useless to me. It features the eFuse encrypted bootloader which makes it harder for hackers to install custom roms on the device. This also means that I won't be able to have root access to the device. Root access is like jail breaking your iphone.

I really like the phone hacking community and if this phone shows little or no progress within the next couple of weeks, I will definitely give serious consideration into switching over to the droid incredible or some other phone... The incredible has a simple rooting and rom flashing application offered by http://www.unrevoked.com/.


As for other phone news, I recently updated to ios4 on my iPhone 3g. It was a simple process and I decided to update because my phone had crashed and I had to restore it anyways.


Here are the steps that I took to restore the phone:
- I updated my itunes to 9.2
- I installed the official 4.0 firmware from apple through itunes with the update button
- I downloaded redsn0w 0.9.5 http://wikee.iphwn.org/howto:rs9
- I downloaded the 4.0 ipsw that matched my iphone 3g from http://www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/
- I opened redsn0w and followed the directions
- I installed the ultrasn0w repo in cydia to unlock the phone (add the repo: repo666.ultrasn0w.com/ to cydia)

I then restored a backup of all my data and wala completed
Remember if you have cracked ipas remember to reinstall the mobileinstallation file for 4.0  


Labels:

Post a Comment